Monday, July 21, 2008

Change We Can Believe In

I hate making decisions. Not only do I hate making them, but when I do, I make bad decisions. This is a problem for many reasons, the most important of which being that it seems like there are so many decisions that I need to be making these days: where to live, who to live with, what to do with my life, what to do short term, what to do long term, when to make my move on Janna, where to go to grad school, what to study, etc. Potentially, there is a whole platter of decisions that I can spill all over the proverbial customer’s lap.

I was watching a classic episode of Friends about a week ago and I’ve been thinking about it ever since. In the episode, Rachel tries to counter the fact that she makes terrible decisions by appointing Monica to make all of her decisions for her. This also corresponds with a great episode of Seinfeld. Hapless George has an epiphany where he realizes that every decision he has ever made has been wrong. He takes a different approach to the issue, and decides that all of his instincts are wrong, and that by doing the opposite of what he would normally do, he would effectively neutralize his bad judgment. This promptly lands him a beautiful woman and a front office job with the New York Yankees.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I’m ready to learn from the popular culture I have enjoyed for so long. No longer will I make all my decisions based on the sound advice of Oprah and those chatty women from the view. From here on out, I am taking a page out of the Book of Rachel and the Words of Costanza. Here’s what’s going to happen: I will be fielding open suggestions from anyone who has ideas on how I should proceed with my future. Fear not. No idea is too simple and no suggestion can be too ridiculous. Feel free to give short term as well as long term advice. I am willing to listen to anyone, as long as the idea does not originate in my head.

Now here is the tricky part. I have to decide which advice to take. This is where George comes in. Not only am I trying to avoid ever making another decision, a la Rachel Green, but on those rare occasions where a decision must be left to me, I will have to be ready to do the exact opposite of what would appear to be the correct choice. Difficult? Yes. But I’m committed to change. Just call me Barrack.

I need your help people. Me being in charge of my own life has been an utter disaster. With your help, I can make the progress that will lead me into the next phase of my life. Vote for change in ’08. Vote for my future.

Yes we can. Yes we can.

7 comments:

Ben said...

My advice is this:

List your five core principles you live by.

List five things you want to accomplish within the next decade.

List five things you want to have within the next five years.

List five things you want to accomplish this year. I understand this is your dilemma. You don't know what you want.

To help you answer that question, if you had a million dollars, what would you choose to do with your time?

I feel that if it involves sports (and I think I'm right. So right I'd bet on it) then that's what you should pursue something in.

After this little exercise, you should write out 50 goals you want out of life. It may take awhile, but it will help you brainstorm about what means the most to you. Reflect often on it and see if it helps you centrifuge your ideas, take out the supernatant, and discover what's in the precipitate! (that was a little inside science joke just for me.)

blakecgriffin said...

I think you should take out an enormous student loan for 'graduate school' and move to a country where you can live on 40 grand for like, 10 years or so without working(like Sri Lanka, Nepal, or Turkmenistan).

Janna said...

I think you should make the move now...and stay in provo. selfishly speaking that is.

dianita said...

I THINK YOU SHOULD MOVE TO A LATIN AMERICAN COUNTRY AND GET A JOB TEACHING ENGLISH. THE LOAN THING MAY BE A PROBLEM...BUT JUST THINK CHE GUEVARRA AND RUNNING ALL OVER THE SOUTHERN CONE ON A MOTORCYCLE. THINK ABOUT IT.

Jill said...

Here's something else to think about: the cards never lie. Okay, sometimes they do, but they did not for you last night.

Meg said...

To hell with Janna. Move to New York and get fresh, I mean, get a fresh start.

Holla.

Unknown said...

i think you should listen to megan- go get fresh with her... and then you should eat some vegetables and try to keep the bacon and cheetos to a minimum, and wear your knee brace, and all other motherly advice that i for some reason feel inclined to give you. and then i think you should fulfill your life's ambition: to be the creator of bacon flavored toothpaste.